Davis Ayer Photographer

11:59 ameliaguchi 0 Comments

“What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.” - Karl Lagerfeld

Photography is my favourite medium of art. In the book I'm currently reading, 'What She Left' by T.R.Richmond, the protagonist Alice describes photographs as 'something passing stopped', which is a perfect analogy; unlike many paintings or sculptures, the subject of photographs is indisputable - we are able to see exactly what the photographer saw, bar manipulation, in some cases

One of my favourite photographers is Texas born Davis Ayer, who I have been following over a couple of years. I love his encompassment of double exposure, which gives a further dimension to his images. The layering creates whimsical, dream-like compositions, which hint at the passing of time.

In an interview for Playboy magazine, Ayer said he is inspired by the "intangible, chaos, time, the metaphysical life questions that you can't really answer but can engage through photography."

This chaos is clear to see; his work is exuberant - the photographs nearly, always feature young muses, flung into barren landscapes, bringing with them vitality and enigma. Patterns and colour help to emphasise this energy.

The technicality of Ayer's work is impressive. During my A Levels, I remember studying his Time Travel collection and trying to get my head around the making of it - the patterns reflect on the body like second skin, while the background remains a solid black. At the time, I was messing around with projecting images on portraits, so you can only imagine how inferior my own efforts felt!

It is safe to say that while Ayer continues to fill my Instagram feed with new work, my thirst for inspiration will remain quenched (possibly the lamest metaphor ever written).

You can check out Davis Ayer's work at http://www.davisayer.com/.

Meels x 

All work below is by Davis Ayer...








0 comments: